SSRI’s, or Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors, are a class of drugs widely prescribed for the treatment of depression and/or anxiety.
Birth Defect Attorney Mississippi
- They are known by their brand names:
- Zoloft (Sertraline)
- Lexapro (Escitalopram)
- Prozac and Sarafem (Fluoxetine)
- Celexa (Citalopram)
- Paxil (Paroxetine)
- Effexor (Venlafaxine)
- Prestiq (Desvenlafaxine)
Many studies have linked the use of these SSRI’s with a variety of birth defects and miscarriages. In fact, pregnant women taking SSRI’s were 68% more likely to suffer miscarriage than women not on these medications. That is a heart-breaking and unacceptable number! The attorneys at Richard Schwartz and Associates know that money won’t heal the pain that has been caused by these drugs; but we believe that holding companies accountable make us all safer in the future.
- Most common cases people contact us for:
- Zoloft birth defects
- Prozac birth defects
- Effexor birth defects
- Birth defects from antidepressants
- Other birth defects identified by these studies include:
- Persistant Pulmonary Hypertension in the Newborn (PPHN) – a serious, life threatening defect affecting the blood circulation to the lungs. While in utero a baby’s circulatory system bypasses the lungs because all the oxygen is provided by the mother. At birth, as the lungs expand and fill with air the baby’s body quickly adapts to the change in environment and blood is rerouted through the lungs. Newborns with PPHN don’t make that switch and their blood does not become oxygenated.
- Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome - simply means that the baby is born drug addicted. Approximately 30% of infants whose mothers use SSRI’s during pregnancy are born addicted to the drug.
- Heart Defects - Zoloft appears to more than triple the risk of these life-threatening defects. If more than one drug was used this defect was 5 times more likely.
- Delayed Motor Development - mothers who use SSRI’s later in pregnancy can observe delayed motor development in their infant.
Mississippi Birth Injury Lawsuit
If you took a SSRI and Zoloft while pregnant and you suffered a miscarriage or your baby was born with a birth defect you may be entitled to compensation. Please contact us as soon as possible.