Many people falsely assume that motorcycle accidents are always caused by the biker. However, approximately two-thirds of motorcycle accidents are caused by another motorist violating the biker’s right of way.
Below, our Jackson personal injury attorneys discuss your rights as a motorcyclist and what to do after an accident.
What Causes Motorcycle Accidents?
As mentioned above, many motorcycle accidents are caused by other motorists. To that end, the common causes of motorcycle accidents include:
- Unsafe lane change
- Failure to yield
- Distracted driving
- Drunk driving
What to Do After a Motorcycle Accident
As a motorcyclist, you have just as many rights as other motorists. As such, you are entitled to damages that result from an accident caused by another driver.
If you have been involved in a motorcycle accident, taking the following steps can improve your chances of recovering maximum possible compensation from the at-fault party:
- If you are able, move to the side of the road.
- Check to see if anyone requires medical assistance and if so, contact emergency medical services.
- Seek medical attention, even for injuries that seem minor.
- Exchange contact, insurance, and vehicle information with the other driver.
- See if there are any nearby traffic or security cameras whose footage can be used as supporting evidence for your claim.
- Contact an experienced personal injury attorney.
Injured in a Motorcycle Accident? We’re Here to Help
If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident that wasn’t your fault, our team at Richard Schwartz & Associates, P.A. can protect your rights and help you recover the compensation you need for medical bills and lost wages. Our Jacksonville attorneys are passionate about protecting clients’ rights, and we’re prepared to help you through this.
Contact us today at (601) 869-0696 for a free consultation. One call, that’s all!