Mississippi Maritime Lawyer



Choosing a Mississippi Maritime Injury Attorney

It can be hard to find lawyers with the right qualifications and who are educated in maritime law, but the attorneys at Richard Schwartz & Associates can help you recover your losses. A good attorney is familiar with the various sea-based industries that work on and offshore and the maritime laws that control the businesses and their employees.

For example, if an employee on an oil rig is involved in an offshore accident with an unrelated carrier in port while working, that employee needs to hire a Mississippi Maritime Lawyer in Mississippi. These offshore injury attorneyshelp work to determine who is responsible for the accident, and how they will cover costs from medical expenses and lost future income. A Mississippi Maritime Lawyer from Richard Schwartz and Associates can help you make the right decision and can help get you the money you need and deserve.

maritime lawyer or attorney


When you have been injured in an offshore accident or on-land (harbor) you want to make sure you have someone at your side who understands this special category of law and how it affects your case. Dealing with overwhelming medical expenses is enough stress, let the lawyers at Richard Schwartz and Associates help you get what you deserve. You can contact us to discuss your case across the state.

Here are some common questions that we can answer for you:

  • What is the Jones Act?
  • Do I have a valid case?
  • Why do I need a lawyer?
  • Is Admiralty Law the same?


What is Maritime Law?

The maritime law and Admiralty law definition, for the most part, deals with the application of law to events that occur on or near those navigable waters. Navigable waters generally include the oceans of the world as well as large lakes or rivers that can be used for commercial shipping. These waters are divided into territorial waters and the high seas. Territorial waters are close to land while the high seas are those waters that are further away from land.

The rules of these laws can be very complicated and offshore accidents are treated different that those onshore. Finding out who is responsible and how much money is being paid can affect the outcome. If you have been injured, contracted a disease or a loved one has died as a result of working on or near the water, you need a lawyer who thoroughly understands these cases to handle your case.

 Is Admiralty Law the Same?

Admiralty law or maritime law both govern navigation and shipping. Topics associated with this field may include: shipping; navigation; waters; commerce; seamen; towage; wharfs, piers, and docks; insurance; liens; canals; and recreation.

 The Jones Act in Mississippi

The Jones Act is a sub-section of the 1920 Merchant Marine Act that deals with coastal shipping and guarantees the rights of the sailors and other employees of vessels or rigs that operate in those waters. This is a complicated area of law and requires a lawyer with the experience needed to pursue your claim.

As with any Federal Act, there are changes to the Act regularly.  Attorneys must regularly educate themselves on the law, and it is important for you to hire the right attorney. Richard Schwartz & Associates has the experience you need to file your claim if you have been injured while working off-shore or on a ship; you may even be covered while working on the docks.

Don’t delay! “One call, that’s all” is more than just an advertising slogan. It’s the call that will turn your accident into a case.

Longshoremen’s and Jones Acts 

Maritime Law is the written set of legal rules that cover and protect people who are working offshore. The Jones Act and the Longshoremen’s Act are both classifications under this category of law.

Jackson Mississippi Maritime LawyerThe Longshoremen’s Act covers workers employed in occupations such as long shore workers or other people that are in alongshore operations, such as harbor workers, ship repairers, shipbuilders, and ship breakers. The Longshoremen’s Act also refers to rigs that are stationary, and do not move.

The Longshoreman’s Act is a lot like worker’s compensation: you get recovery for your loss wage capacity. In Jones’ Act, you get pain and suffering in addition to everything else. The distinction between the two acts can change your case significantly, but it is a difference that should be determined by an experienced lawyer.

The Jones’ Act covers people that work on movable entities, such as certain rigs or a boat for example. In order to benefit from The Jones’ Act, the worker must be a seaman that is signed to that particular vehicle in navigable waters. Anyone who spends at least 30% of his or her time in active service on a Merchant Marine vessel can qualify for Jones Act benefits. This includes all staff on board ship, from the Captain on down. The benefits provided by the Jones Act can be significantly higher than benefits for workers on land, if a skilled attorney is involved. Call 1-888-998-9589 to consult with the lawyers of Richard Schwartz & Associates.

Can A Lawyer Help My Maritime Case?

The best way to determine whether you have a maritime case is to talk with an attorney who is knowledgeable in the legal rules associated with it. An injury lawyer is almost as vital to your recovery from an offshore accident as the emergency and medical treatment. Without a lawyer who understands this type of law, things like cost of medical treatment and how long you are unable to work all affect the outcome of your case and how much money you can receive. Having an attorney at your side ensures that you are getting everything you deserve. Offshore accidents cause enough stress, let the attorneys at Richard Schwartz and Associates assist you in your case.

Here is What an Attorney Will Do:

  • A client services specialist responds to your call, email, or text
  • We collect all necessary information and conduct a free case evaluation
  • We submit your information to the attorney who is best suited to handle your situation
  • The lawyers reviews this information and then becomes your Attorney of Record
  • An investigator visits your home to conduct an interview, collect facts, photos, and other official documents related to your case
  • Your case is then assigned a complete team: a lawyer, an adjuster, and paralegals/legal assistants

Get A Lawyer For Your Accident On…

  • Crew Boats
  • Tankers
  • Barges
  • Freighters
  • Tow & Tug Boats
  • Supply Boats
  • Semi-submersibles
  • Shrimp & Fishing Boats
  • Trawlers
  • Ferries & Water Taxis
  • Riverboats
  • Cruise Ships
  • Offshore-rigs

Maritime Law Information

Mississippi Maritime LawyerWhen you are the victim of an offshore accident it’s important that you have a lawyer who understands it all by your side. With the complexity of admiralty laws that depend on where the accident occurred and the type of rig or ship or are on are major factors in how your case is handled. A thorough knowledge of maritime law ensures that you get all of the money you need and deserve.

Consider how important it is that you are in good health and are able to work under the demanding and hazardous conditions of ships, barges, freighters, tug boats, tow boats, supply boats, semi-submersibles, shrimp boats, trawlers, ferries, water taxis, riverboats, cruise ships, oil rigs, and other water vehicles. With these types of jobs almost any kind of injury can occur, including hearing loss or contraction of disease that may not be immediately apparent. If your injuries are serious, you may never be able to work again. Having lawyers helping you make decisions about your case will provide you with the most reward and compensation possible.

There are two laws that are relevant are important for offshore accidents and on-land (harbor) injuries: the Jones Act and the Longshore and Harbor Workers Compensation Act. These laws are in place to ensure that those who are involved in offshore accidents and those on-land (harbor) receive money for medical expenses and lost wages. The attorneys at Richard Schwartz and Associates can answer any questions you might have and are ready to fight with you and help you get the money you deserve.


Hurt on a Cruise Ship? You Need a Lawyer.

Being injured on a cruise ship is a complicated matter. Cruise Lines put many barriers in place to making claims against injuries that occur on board. You need a skilled lawyer that can navigate the complicated laws that these cases come with.

Before you go on a cruise you should read the fine print and make sure that you understand the rules that apply on board. If you are hurt while on the cruise, don’t sign any agreements before you call Richard Schwartz and Associates.

While many accidents at sea are due to hazardous conditions, if cruise line is found responsible for the accident it can strengthen your case. Contact an offshore lawyer at Richard Schwartz and Associates to understand more about this type of law and how you can receive any benefits you deserve after an injury on a cruise ship.