It’s fairly easy to see why accidents occur in parking lots: there are typically multiple cars moving within a few feet of one another, vying for the same spots, all while yielding to pedestrians who could potentially be walking all around.
While some parking lot collisions may seem straightforward, there are many different factors that may determine which driver or drivers are responsible. Below, we discuss fault in these types of auto collisions.
Types of Parking Lot Accidents
Before we discuss who is at fault in parking lot accidents, it’s important to understand some common ways that these accidents occur. A few of the most prevalent causes of parking lot collisions include:
- Two drivers back up into each other
- A driver pulls out of a parking space and into a lane of traffic
- A driver backs out of a space into an oncoming car
- Two cars pulling into the same space collide
- A car rear-ends another at a stop sign
When car collisions occur within parking lots, there are generally two questions that your personal injury attorney will have to dissect to determine fault in the accident:
- Was the car moving? If only one car was moving, the driver of the moving vehicle would generally be at fault for the majority of the collision. For instance, if a driver parks their car legally and another motorist hits the car, the second motorist would probably be at fault.
- Which driver had the right of way? If both vehicles were moving at the same time, one motorist typically had the right of way, based on rules and traffic patterns. If a motorist failed to yield as they should have, they could be held liable for a crash.
When it comes to any type of car collision, remember that things may not be as they appear to be at first. Low-impact collisions can still cause severe injuries and internal property damage to your vehicle. Both the injuries and physical damage may not show signs until much later on.
This is why it’s so important to always seek the help of an experienced car accident attorney who can ensure your rights to compensation are protected. If you were hit in a parking lot or in any other instance, the legal team at Richard Schwartz & Associates Injury Lawyer is here to ensure that you receive maximum compensation for the damages that you incurred.