Columbus MS Medical Malpractice Lawyer
Call Today to Discuss Your Case: (601) 869-0696
Doctors and nurses who cause harm to their patients can be held liable in a court of law for any injuries or deaths they case. If found guilty of medical malpractice, they may be responsible for compensating the victim for their medical bills, pain and suffering, lost wages, lost earning capacity, and other damages.
Richard Schwartz & Associates, P.A. stands up for victims of medical negligence in Columbus and throughout Mississippi. If you think you may have a case, we encourage you to contact us as soon as possible for a complimentary, risk-free consultation.
Fill out our case review form and we will be in touch with you soon.
Common Medical Malpractice Claims
Medical malpractice can stem from a number of causes. Doctors and nurses working long shifts may make mistakes due to fatigue. A doctor can end up causing harm to his or her patient if he or she fails to order the appropriate diagnostic tests or doesn’t take enough time to understand all of a patient’s symptoms. Sometimes, a doctor simply doesn’t have enough knowledge to capably treat a patient.
Common medical malpractice claims include:
- Failure to diagnose a condition, such as cancer or appendicitis
- Surgical errors, such as operating on the wrong body part or accidentally puncturing an organ
- Anesthesia errors, including administering too much or too little anesthesia
- Prescription drug errors, including prescribing or filling the wrong medication or the wrong dosage
When Does a Medical Error Become Malpractice?
Not every poor medical outcome constitutes medical malpractice. Sometimes, medical treatment may have adverse or even fatal effects. So when does it become malpractice?
In Mississippi, valid medical malpractice cases must include the following elements:
- A legal duty existed to provide services meeting an accepted standard of care
- The duty was breached and the doctor did not meet this standard of care
- The breach of duty caused the patient harm, based on a preponderance of the evidence
- The patient suffered damages such as physical pain and suffering, additional medical treatment, missed work, and more
Experienced Legal Help for Medical Malpractice Victims
The Columbus, MS medical malpractice attorneys at Richard Schwartz & Associates, P.A. have more than three decades of experience advocating for the rights of seriously injured people who have been harmed by the carelessness of medical professionals and hospitals. Highly knowledgeable and backed by a history of success, we know how to build and present a strong and convincing case to hold at-fault parties accountable and help our clients obtain justice. Call us today for a case review – there is no cost or obligation!
Call (601) 869-0696 to get started. Act fast – there is a two-year statute of limitations for medical malpractice cases in Mississippi!