Toxic Tort Lawyers in Mississippi
Richard Schwartz & Associates
Will Take Care of You & Your Claim
Exposure to toxic substances can cause severe illnesses and even death. When people suffer from injury or illness from exposure to these types of substances, they may have a right to file a claim against the responsible party. Contact Richard Schwartz & Associates, P.A., a Mississippi law firm with over 35 years of experience in toxic tort claims.
Call 601-988-8888 for a FREE Consultation
Toxic torts are civil claims filed by victims who have been harmed physically and/or financially as the result of exposure to harmful substances. Commonly, these include unsafe pharmaceutical medications, pesticides, and other hazardous materials or chemicals. Toxic exposure can occur in the course of a person’s occupation, as the result of spills or leaks that affect the environment, or when a person takes a harmful substance under the belief that it was safe for its intended use.
Toxic torts can be complex cases that involve various areas of law, which is why working with attorneys who have the breadth of experience and versatility to tackle challenges can make the difference in your case. Our attorneys at Richard Schwartz & Associates Injury Lawyers, P.A. draw from decades of collective experience and pool their resources to handle the full range of toxic tort cases, including those involving:
- Occupational disease and exposure
- Asbestos exposure (asbestosis and mesothelioma)
- Unsafe medications
- Lead poisoning
- Chemical spills
- Oil and gas leaks/fracking
- Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs)
- Contaminated water
How Toxic Tort Claims Work
If you or someone you love has suffered injury or illness as a result of exposure to some type of harmful substance, you might have the right to bring a toxic tort claim against the responsible party. These substances may have been originally thought to be safe, but later turned out to be harmful. In other cases, known hazardous substances may be released into the environment as the result of some type of accident.
Toxic torts commonly involve the following:
- Exposure at work – Workers who are exposed to harmful substances in the course of performing their jobs face significant risks of developing illnesses, including debilitating and life-threatening diseases. Asbestos is a common example of occupational exposure, and it can lead to mesothelioma, a fatal form of cancer.
- Exposure at home – Victims may be exposed to harmful substances in their homes or communities, especially when there are leaks or spills that contaminate their air, water, or food. Materials used in the construction of a home or toxic substances, such as lead, toxic mold, and asbestos, can also pose risks. In some cases, victims may develop illnesses as a result of second-hand exposure in their homes. This can happen when a family member works in an occupation where they are exposed to harmful chemicals.
- Pharmaceutical medications – The pharmaceutical industry may have an obligation to ensure the safety of their drugs, but their prioritization of profits often means that toxic medications find their way onto the market. There are numerous drugs that can cause unintended and serious illnesses patients were not warned about.
- Consumer products – Some products pose toxic risks. When these risks are not reported to consumers who purchase publicly available products, victims can suffer injuries or illnesses that should have been prevented. Product manufacturers can be held liable for damages victims suffer as a result of using their products under product liability law.
Questions? Speak With a Proven Mississippi Personal Injury Lawyer
Richard Schwartz & Associates is dedicated to protecting the rights of the injured and the wronged, including those who have suffered undue illnesses and injuries as a result of toxic exposure. Our legal team is standing by to take your call – one call that can make all the difference in your case. Our firm serves clients throughout Mississippi from our Jackson office.